If there’s a silver lining in this difficult season, it’s probably the gift of a slower pace of life. Yes, the isolation has affected some negatively and others have completely lost their incomes. But for others, being forced to slow down might be a good thing.
When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, he cut 70% of its projects and only focused on the remaining 30%. That was how he turned the company around and saved it from the brink of bankruptcy.
Maybe that is how we can reduce the unproductive busyness in our lives too.
Now that we need to cut all unessential activities, do we still try to pack our schedules with activities after activities? Or do we make use of the gift of time that we have now to focus on what is truly important?
The thing is, you can do anything you want. But you can’t do everything you want. There just isn’t enough time and energy to do everything you want. At least not at the same time.
You need to learn how to focus on one thing at a time.
If you have 10 tasks to work on, you will probably finish them faster and better if you go through them one by one, rather than trying to work on all 10 at the same time. It’s probably better not to try multi-tasking.
We are always tempted to do more. To increase our productivity. Make ourselves busy so that we feel like we are working hard.
But a hamster running on a wheel is working hard too. Just that it’s not getting anywhere.
Do you want to be like a hamster working so hard, yet not make any progress? Or do you want to make progress, even if they might be small?
While we look forward to coming out of isolation, perhaps now is a great time to relook at our schedules, priorities and to-do lists. Are they all significant? Are they all things that you want to do? Will doing them truly help you make progress instead of keeping you busy for nothing?
Hopefully, we won’t waste the gift of a slower pace of life we are given right now.